MARCH with Q-Wave in Manhattan Pride 6/27/2010: Please remember…
June 22, 2010
Dear Marchers of Q-Wave, welcome and thank you for marching at the Manhattan Heritage Of Pride Parade with us this year, your participation brings more empowerment and social and political visibility to the Queer Asian & Pacific Islanders everywhere you could ever imagine. By the act of marching, you are sending a statement celebrating and demanding equality, respect, justice and joy for all regardless of sexuality, sexual orientations and gender expressions. Thank you and Happy Pride!!
We have a list of things for you here to please keep in mind of on the day of the parade, it is very important that you be mindful and follow all the requests on this list, and we will have a Joyous Celebration and SAFE Pride Parade for yourself and all the marchers!
1) Date, Time & Meeting Location – please arrive early, bring your friends & family!
June 27th, 2010, at 10 AM, please find us on the block of 39th Street between 5th and 6th Ave (closer to 5th Ave). Look for the Q-Wave Banner laying on the floor. You will see us. We are in Section 3 (if you need to ask a volunteer).
*** All Marchers will be gifted with a free Q-Wave T-Shirt “Asian Pride in Full Color” and a rainbow bandanna.
*** Please note to EAT BREAKFAST!! Q-Wave will be providing DK donuts/munchkins (first come first serve) in the morning and will be providing WATER through out the parade; but make sure you will bring something to eat before our walking, bring sun-block, and wear comfortable shoes!!
2) There will be NO ALCOHOL allowed in the parade, it will be confiscated, and it attracts the attention of the police which may lead to arrest; so PLEASE, do not bring alcohol.
3) Please try your very best to join us for the march from the beginning. HOP have shortened the Parade by 20 blocks this year and we are starting on 39th street instead of 59th street. It is not going to be long march, and they do not usually allow people to join in the middle.
4) Bathroom Break: this year, HOP organizers will issue BATHROOM PASSES, we should have at least 1 bathroom pass for the group. Helen and Aries are the marshal/security this year for Q-Wave, and they will have the bathroom pass on them. Please make sure if you need to go to the bathroom to get the pass from them. You will be allowed to use it to leave and return to the march while holding the pass.
5) There will be TWO Moments of Silence this year, at 1 pm and at 3 pm for 1-2 minutes. Please pay attention to the marshals as they make gestures to ask you to keep silent during those times.
6) IF, if we run into obnoxious parade-goers, haters or drunks…, please DO NOT YELL BACK, DO NOT CURSE THEM BACK, and just ignore them or let the marshals and security people know to escort them to leave. We are here to celebrate and have fun, and it is in the people-of-color contingent’s best interest not to incur any police involvement.
7) PLEASE FOLLOW THE MARSHALS TO CLOSE THE GAPS between the groups ahead and behind Q-Wave. It is best that we are not cut-off from the other groups due to traffic control, and if we have gaps between the groups, the police will cut us off. The marshals will try to signal to ask you all to walk forward quickly to close to gaps if there is one, please do follow so that the police cannot cut the groups off.
8 ) NO POLITICIANS & THEIR BODYGUARDS ALLOWED in the POC contingent. Please be mindful that for safety reasons, the POC contingent will not allow politicians to march and or to get photos with us. Often times, conflicts arise between marchers, marshals and their bodyguards that can result in physical injuries. If you have friends who are politicians who wish to march with us, they cannot be marching for campaigns, no bodyguards, and just as a regular marcher.
Thank you for going through this list and marching with us, we look forward to the march in SOLIDARITY, in PRIDE, and in CELEBRATION!
See you Sunday, June 27, 10 am!!